Proofreading is a fairly standard procedure, addressing several aspects of written work:
- Usage (e.g., “tender hooks” instead of “tenterhooks”);
- Tenses and number agreement;
- Adherence to style guidelines (Chicago is my default, but I am open to any specifications); and
Editing is significantly more involved than is proofreading. Here are some notable attributes:
- Proofreading included;
- Fact-checking and accuracy (if applicable);
- Construction of piece examined (sequence, voice, flow, et al.);
- Offers structural advice (if desired) and enacts approved changes;
- Maximizes readability, while minimizing confusion or ambiguity; and
- Ensures mindfulness to intended audience.
Of all service levels discussed on this page, writing is, at once, the most open-ended and the most thorough. Basically, it umbrellas the following:
- Review of word choice (e.g., cliché avoidance);
- Examines such “short cuts” as phrasal verbs (e.g., “find out” vs. “discover”) in service of clarity; and
- Comprehensive revision.
I work quickly, and I charge by the hour.
Prices, of course, are negotiable. I provide FREE ESTIMATES, and I request 50% of the total estimated fee upon your approval of the bid.
If, for any reason, my proposal is inaccurate in either direction, I will notify you so that we can discuss how best to proceed.